The Australian Geomechanics Society (AGS) Sydney Chapter is holding its 24th annual Symposium on Friday 13 November 2020, on ‘Geotechnical Advances and Challenges in Urban Development’. This year Symposium is also called Golden Symposium due to its coincident with the 50th anniversary of Australian Geomechanics Society.
The symposium forms part of the continuing program of events organised by the AGS Sydney Chapter. It aims to keep the engineering industry informed of recent geotechnical advances in urban development, as well as the challenges and opportunities out there.
The organising committee has now issued a Call For Abstracts.
The symposium will showcase state-of-the-art practices, new research findings and case histories that demonstrate geotechnical advances and challenges in urban development. The organising committee invites papers on geotechnical aspects of urban development, underground structures, restoration of geotechnical structures, innovative and cost-efficient solutions, groundwater modelling and application of smart technologies.
The symposium presents an opportunity for professional engineers, researchers, specialist contractors, regulators, educators and students to meet and share their knowledge and experiences in geotechnical engineering.
The following are some suggested topics for this symposium:
- Underground Structures in Urban Areas – Geotechnical Design and Construction Aspects
- Retrofitting, Rehabilitation and Restoration of Geotechnical Structures in Urban Areas
- Cost Savings through Innovative Construction and Design
- Dealing with Groundwater in Design
- Applications of Smart Technologies in Geotechnical Engineering
- Deep and Shallow Foundations in Urban Areas.
Papers that have been previously published will not be accepted for the symposium.
Important Dates & Submission
Abstracts must be submitted by 24 April 2020, with papers to be completed by 24 July 2020. All papers will be peer-reviewed and should be submitted in the Australian Geomechanics journal format (the details of which will be forwarded to authors at a later stage). The final version of the papers, after addressing any reviewers’ comments, must be submitted by 9 October 2020.
All abstracts and papers should be sent to [email protected].
By submitting a paper for the symposium, the author(s) are giving permission for the AGS to publish the paper in the proceedings and other AGS national publications.
One-page abstracts should be submitted in the following format:
- Title of presentation (font type: Times New Roman Bold, font-size: 14, alignment: centre)
- Authors’ full names (font type: Times New Roman Bold, font-size: 10, alignment: centre)
- Authors’ full affiliation and address including position, name of company/university, email address and contact number (font type: Times New Roman Italic, font-size: 10, alignment: centre)
- Underline the presenter’s name (only one presenter)
- Abstract’s text, maximum 500 words (font type: Times New Roman, font style: regular, font-size: 10, alignment: left-justified)
- Page layout with 20 mm margins (top, bottom, left and right)
- In the covering email sent to the organising committee, the author(s) must confirm that the abstract and the proposed paper have not been previously published.