The Australian Geomechanics Society (AGS) Sydney Chapter is holding its 27th annual Symposium on Friday 10 November 2023, ‘Sustainable Geotechnics in design, materials, construction and maintenance’. The symposium forms part of the continuing program of events organised by the AGS Sydney Chapter. It aims to encourage ideas and discussions about one of the key aspects of design, construction and research which are becoming more prevalent in industry and academia.
The symposium will showcase state-of-the- art practices, new research findings and case histories that demonstrate sustainable design, construction and development. The organising committee invites papers on reliability-based approaches covering various aspects of site investigations, interpretations, designs, specialised testing and technologies.
The symposium presents an opportunity for professional engineers, researchers, specialist contractors, regulators, educators and students to meet and share their knowledge and experiences in geotechnical engineering.
The following are some suggested topics for this symposium:
- Challenges of moving sustainability from theory into practice
- Geotechnical design solutions and principles of sustainability
- Innovative waste management strategies: Reduction, Reuse/ Remediation, Recycle, Recovery
- Low carbon construction
- Lifecycle Assessments
Papers that have been previously published will not be accepted for the symposium.
Important Dates and Submission
Abstracts must be submitted by 15 April 2023, with papers to be completed by 30 June 2023.
All papers will be peer-reviewed and should be submitted in the Australian Geomechanics journal format.
The final version of the papers, after addressing any reviewers’ comments, must be submitted by 11 August 2023.
All abstracts and papers should be sent to Hadi Khabaz via [email protected]
By submitting a paper for the symposium, the author(s) are giving permission for the AGS to publish the paper in the proceedings and other AGS national publications.
One-page abstracts should be submitted in the following format:
- Title of presentation (font type: Times New Roman Bold, font size: 14, alignment: centre)
- Authors’ full names (font type: Times New Roman Bold, font size: 10, alignment: centre)
- Authors’ full affiliation and address including position, name of company/university, email address and contact number (font type: Times New Roman Italic, font size: 10, alignment: centre)
- Underline the presenter’s name (only one presenter)
- Abstract’s text, maximum 500 words (font type: Times New Roman, font style: regular, font size: 10, alignment: left justified)
- Page layout with 20 mm margins (top, bottom, left and right)
- In the covering email sent to the organising committee, author(s) must confirm that the abstract and the proposed paper have not been previously published.
More information can be found on the 2023 Sydney Symposium event page.