Foundation design in (dune) sand
Prof. Barry Lehane
This lecture will present some findings from the speaker’s experience of foundation research and design in dune sand. The lecture will include discussion of:
- Bored piles under lateral load
- Movements behind cantilevered embedded retaining walls
- Active and passive limits
- Skin friction and end bearing for bored piles
- Pile capacity changes with time
- Settlement of footings
- Seasonal effects
Recently developed design formulae, for each of the aspects listed above, will be presented and their basis explained. Comparisons with case history data, in other sands, will be used to provide support for the proposed formulations.
Engineers Australia members participating in AGS technical sessions can record attendance on their personal CPD logs. Members should refer to Engineers Australia CPD policy for details on CPD types, requirements and auditing guidelines.